Part IV of the texlax process, aftercare. In Part I, I discussed moisturizing treatments. Part II, I discussed protein treatments the week prior to your texlax or relaxer. Part III was the application of the texlaxer and the process from start to finish. In the event you missed any of posts, each topic is linked. Aftercare is series of steps that occur immediately following the texlax through the first week.
Listed below are the, no frills – no fluff, steps of caring for your hair the week after a texlax or relaxer:
- Approximately 2-3 days after I texlax, I shampoo my hair with my chelating and clarifying shampoos. This is a necessary step if you are using a no-lye relaxer, as it can leave mineral deposits that cause breakage.
- One week after the texlaxer is the time to apply a heavy protein treatment…needed if you skipped the protein treatment prior to the chemical process. If you used a heavy protein as suggested in Part II, you can move to using a normal protein based deep conditioner. Additionally, if you are protein sensitive, I would suggest a henna treatment in place of a protein deep conditioner or heavy treatment. A henna treatment will rebuild strength without the issues associated with a protein treatment.
- During the week after a texlax, I apply extra moisture to my hair because the chemical process can cause excessive dryness. I prefer to be proactive than reactive. The week after a texlax is the time that you want to work on your moisture/protein balance.
- If you experience any scalp irritation, baby your scalp using oils and aloe vera based products. During this time, avoid products or oils (tea tree or peppermint) that will irritate or cause any tingling to the scalp.
Let me give you a view of my week post texlax:
- Texlax day- deep condition overnight with my moisturizing DC mixture
- Day 1 – Rinse out the conditioner and co-wash with another moisturizing conditioner
- Day 2 – Co-wash with a moisturizing conditioner (I normally change it up just because…)
- Day 3 – Shampoo with Mizani Chelating Shampoo and Clarify with Suave and condition in the shower with a moisturizing conditioner. * I currently use a lye relaxer, but I still like to do this step*
- Days 4 – 6 – Co-wash depending on my mood. Moisturize heavily and baggy each night.
- Day 7 – Henna (My hair is protein sensitive)
After the first week is completed, I return to business as usual. I hope my series has been helpful. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. Thanks for reading and do not forget to subscribe for more hair care and texlax tips.
What is your texlax aftercare routine?