It’s time for Part III of the texlax process series, covering steps from getting ready to texlax to what you should do the week following. The series will help you along your texlax journey to maintain strong healthy hair. All tips work well for relaxed hair as well as texlaxed. Let’s get into the actual texlax application steps.
As I share the steps, I’m working through them myself. At this point, I’ve already completed a moisture treatment and clarified. I followed it with a protein treatment. If you need a recommendation, please see my list of relaxers used for texlax.
Prepping for The Texlax Application:
- Base your scalp with a cream base (Vitale Base Crème). I normally do this twice. I do a light base the night before and again a few hours before I texlax. I want to ensure I don’t burn. Most people only base right before application
- In a bowl, mix relaxer with 1/4 to 1/2 C of Extra Virgin Olive Oil (The amount depends on how much relaxer I have removed from the container)
- Oil length of hair with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and apply Vaseline on the ends
- Part hair in 4 sections and secure with clips
Texlax Application Process:
- Apply relaxer to new growth only. I start from the back and work forward. I apply the texlax on both sides of the hair section (back and front). Some people like to alternate the starting point of each texlax.
- After each section is complete, smooth each section for 1-2 mins with my hand
- Rinse each section individually starting with the section that relaxer was first applied
- After rinsing the relaxer out, apply Motions CPR or Dudley’s Cream Protein (Mid protein step…use a protein conditioner or your choice)
- Leave protein on for 15 mins (no heat) and rinse
- Apply neutralizing shampoo, work to a lather, and leave it on for 10 mins
- Rinse, repeat shampoo, and leave on for 8 mins
- Rinse hair with vinegar rinse to remove any residual relaxer. The mix is 1/4 C vinegar (can use distilled or apple cider) and 2 C warm water
- Let the vinegar rinse sit for 2 mins and rinse
- Shampoo with a moisturizing shampoo (optional)
- Apply Roux Porosity Control
- Rinse apply moisturizing deep conditioner (normally Aubrey’s Organic Honey Suckle Rose mixed with Hemp Oil)
- Leave the deep conditioner on 30 mins to overnight
After I complete the process, I air dry and move to my styling method.
I have the extra steps to ensure I have completely stopped the texlaxing process and removed all traces of the relaxer.
My length check will be in the next post. I didn’t want this post to be super long. I’m going to have it posted on Wednesday and part IV of this series will be posted on Friday.
Do you do anything different in your texlax process?
Be sure to subscribe to receive the latest post from Grow It Girl. Follow Grow It Girl on Social Media. See all links above. Thanks for dropping by!