Have you wondered about the uses or benefits of tea tree oil? Let me tell you, tea tree oil is one of my staple oils that I always have on hand. There are many tea tree oil benefits and I’ve used the oil for almost everything imaginable. I’ve used tea tree oil for years and it’s always one of my most highly recommended essential oils. Tea tree is a powerful essential oil that you just shouldn’t live without. Be warned, a little of this oil definitely goes a long way!
What are the benefits of tea tree oil?
1. Relieving Scalp Conditions– Tea Tree oil relieves several hair related conditions including dandruff, cradle cap, baldness, psoriasis, and lice. It’s also said to prevent hair loss and effectively promoting hair growth. Tea tree oil’s antiseptic properties unclog blocked hair follicles, so the hair that was previously inhibited can grow again.
- Add tea tree oil to a light oil, such as olive oil or grapeseed oil, and apply it to the scalp at least 20 minutes prior to shampooing. Tea tree oil is sometimes added to a pre-shampoo mixture to relieve a dry itchy scalp. Another benefit of tea tree oil is increased hair growth. The oil is often mixed with other items that are said to aid hair growth. The mixture is applied to the scalp and massaged in. Then the oil mixture is left on the scalp overnight before shampooing in the morning. There are a number of hair growth forums with various “growth aid” recipes. My growth aid recipe includes the use of sulfur; however, if you are allergic to sulfur, please leave it out.
2. Hair Clarifying– Tea tree oil’s antiseptic properties help remove build up on the hair shaft that can be the result of product usage or minerals from tap water. Apply a few drops of tea tree oil to your favorite shampoo once or twice a week to clarify the hair. Simply apply the oil to your shampoo, then massage in from the scalp to the ends of the hair and rinse out.
3. Treatment of Minor Infections– Tea Tree is an essential oil that has natural anti-fungal, antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-inflammatory properties. Tea tree oil is great for the skin and conditions such as sinusitis, tonsillitis, bronchitis, and viral or bacterial infections. I add a few drops to my steamer mix and inhale to open my sinuses.
4. Acne Treatment– One of my favorite uses of tea tree is to rid myself of breakouts. When I feel a pimple coming or one appears on my skin, I dab a Q-Tip in oil and place it on the infected area. In a day or so, that pimple is gone and there is no scaring.
5. Bug Bite Relief– Is one another common use for tea tree. First, wash the area with warm soapy water. Next, you want to let the area air dry. Do not rub or pat. This may break the skin and cause greater irritation when the oil is applied. After the area is completely dry, put a small amount of oil on a cotton ball and press it on the area for a few seconds. In no time, the itching stop.
Other Benefits of Tea Tree Oil:
- treating minor wound
- athlete’s foot
- and fever blisters.
Tea tree oil is definitely an essential oil for many reasons. I would truly recommend purchasing a bottle. For me, tea tree oil and peppermint oil will always have a place in my home. We will chat about peppermint oil another time 😉
Have you used tea tree oil for any of the mentioned uses?