Our wash day can be a daunting task for some of us. If you are just starting your hair growth journey or your length has changed, the process can be quite overwhelming. I know as my hair has grown my hair wash process has also changed. When I had short hair wash day was quick simple and easy. I really did not have to think about the process; however, now in order to maintain the health of my hair, I have to pay attention to the actions I take on wash day and throughout the week. I have five easy steps I use to relieve the stress and make each time a successful hair wash day.
1. Assess Hair Needs – Determine your hair’s needs. Does it need extra moisture, a protein treatment, or nothing extra? Does it feel dry? Is it breaking? Do you have product build up or an itchy scalp? Etc. Determining the needs of your hair will allow you to create a proper plan of action to correct any issues.
2. Create A Plan– After assessing the needs of your hair, you need to create a plan of action. This is your blueprint for the process — where you will determine the steps you will take to fix any issues. Ex: If your hair needs moisture, determine how you will increase your moisture levels. Will you do a moisturizing prepoo? Will you just co-wash? Will you shampoo and deep condition? Are you going to add in a steam treatment? Etc.
You also need to determine the time needed for each step. You don’t want to create a plan only to find you are short on time and you cannot finish the process.
*I have fallen victim to horrible planning (or lack of) and suffered a setback because I didn’t have time to detangle my hair properly. My attempt to save time was a failed wash and go. I lost over an inch from not planning my hair washing process correctly and running out of time before I had to head out for the evening.
3. Determine Products Needed – Now that you know what your hair needs and the types of products needed, it’s time to check your product stash to see which products you have on hand that will accomplish your goals. You may find that you do not have the necessary products to complete you wash day. This would be the time to run out and buy products or check online to see if you can make your own product.
4. Set up supplies – Laying out products and accessories you need will make the process easier. Set everything up on a counter or shelf that is close to where you will be shampooing. I would say within arm’s reach. There is nothing like running around searching for a conditioner or a detangling comb with soaking wet hair. Can you tell I have done this myself? LOL!
5. Execute – Now it is time to put your planning into action. Get in there and wash your hair, girl! You’ve laid the foundation and now it’s time to get to work.
6. Listen to music – I like to turn on Pandora and listen to the Kat Dahlia station. Maybe it is just me and I am the only one that sings and dancing while going through the process. 🙂 It makes the whole hair washing thing go by so much faster.
Now you have a few quick and easy steps to create a successful hair wash day. A well-planned day takes the anxiety and stress out of the process. Try this steps and you will truly see the benefit.
How do you create a successful wash day? Do you have any tip or steps to add?
Be sure to subscribe for more hair tips and the last info from Grow It Girl!